Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mexico - the Coba ruins

Ok, I know I've been horribly delinquent in posting these pictures etc (I have been home for over a month after all) but I just haven't felt like blogging. I've been trying to exercise and be more disciplined this year, but man it eats up my time, so blogging has just fallen by the wayside. Anyway, I loved my trip to Mexico. I've stayed in Cancun about 9 years ago and things have changed a lot in the area. This time we were staying at a resort about 40 minutes south of Cancun. The resort was gorgeous and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Our first day there however was rainy, so we took the time to make a run to the local WalMart (yes they are everywhere now) to grab some groceries and figure out the lay of the area. We had rented a car, and the highway they have built there was great so traveling around the area was a breeze, I highly recommend it. When we woke up Sunday it was still overcast but warm enough so we headed out to our first stop...the Coba ruins. Now last time I was in Mexico we went to Chichen Itza, which was very impressive but hours away so I suggested this stop. These ruins were closer and it is still being excavated so it's different than visiting some of the other sites. It just blossomed right out of the jungle and made you feel very Indian Jones like while exploring. This city was huge in it's day (600-900 AD) but then was just abandoned for some unknown reason. It has the 2nd tallest Mayan pyramid, which I made it half way up but John did make it to the top. We did have to stop to do a little emergency first aid to bind up some bleeding blisters...


No comments: